Friday, September 12, 2008

Big hill to climb now

Three days ago I had another large loss in a HU match, this time -$5K at 5/10. I realized that I was in the worst downswing of my poker career. I was also off to the worst start ever for a month. I decided after this that it was time to take a break from 5/10 for now. I'm now on a mission to grind my results for the month back to even before I play anymore 5/10. I'm still an overall winner at these stakes and feel like my play has been fine. However, the losses at those stakes affect my psyche a little too much still.

I do believe that my game has gone astray the past month or two. I have made -EV calldowns and suicide bluff attempts. It's as if I have become the most impatient poker player in the world. Now that I've finally begun to realize this problem, I am working hard to correct it. I'm beginning to discuss hands with friends again, and occasionally watch instructional videos. It's not as if I have forgotten how to play poker, it is just that my game needs to be detailed or something.

I hope poker is going well for everyone. It seems as if many of my poker friends are losing an interest in poker (or at least losing an interest in blogging about it). I guess this is not surprising because poker resembles a hobby more than a job, and passion for hobbies often fades.

2 comments:

DODGYKEN said...

I think the point about becoming impatient is a really good one. It's definitely one of my leaks I think.

Unknown said...

The key is to identify problems and try and find ways to solve them. It seems you are doing this and I would expect success with the mind frame.

fwiw, I am not sure your friends have lost interest in poker, I am blogging less frequently myself. I think it might just be that sometimes you don't have anything worth blogging the more you improve. Players tend to reach a point where they don't learn as many things as often as they did in the past, so naturally they blog less. I noticed I was just blogging irrelevant BS like results every day and what si the point of that?

Of course I could be wrong and maybe they are losing interest. But I can say for me, that is not the case. :-)