Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Trips with poker players = ++EV

I recently returned from spending a week in Jamaica with John (PuddlePirate/urmyatm44 on Full Tilt) for spring break. The experience was great and I definitely have the traveling bug now. We stayed at a 4 star resort in Negril, the spring break capital of Jamaica. Our resort had virtually no college students at it, but it was gorgeous and featured unlimited food and alcohol. We actually had a fairly tame time and spent much of it doing outdoors stuff. Scuba diving, snorkeling, and jumping off a 50 foot into the ocean (subsequently resulting in a bruised tailbone for myself) to name some of the activities. I'll post pictures when John uploads them.

The biggest upside from the vacation was a renewed enthusiasm for poker. John's passion for the game is contagious. We discussed theory, the online poker economy, and even played an insane 2/4 deep session against each other one night. By the time I returned home, my enthusiasm for the game was the highest it had been in several months. I played 3400 hands in the first two days back home. The argument could easily be made that this in itself pays for the trip in full.

****************************************************

I have come to terms with the state of HU poker. Games are extremely dried up on weekdays, but are still decent on weekends. It is now crucial for me to grind a lot on weekends, even if it means sacrificing some other things on Friday through Sunday. My general goal indefinitely is to play ~3K hands each weekend, and concentrate my other priorities during weekdays. This is the only way I can still realistically get 20K hands a month in without having to play the better regs, or learning 6 max or PLO. However, I will strongly consider adding the latter options to my repertoire after graduation.

****************************************************

I have some bad habits with blogging. Topics will often pop into my head that I am enthusiastic to write about, but then I put it off. As the number of topics continues to build in my head, collectively they become convoluted. As a result, I wind up making entries that are simply bland updates about my life. All of my favorite blogs to read are updated at sporadic, inconsistent time intervals and about a wide variety of topics. I need to impulsively type up my thoughts on any interesting topic, even if it results in more frequent 1-2 paragraph entries. Too much planning is a problem!

2 comments:

Danny said...

Any pics of the trip?

burlorka said...

Покер для новичков-Poker for beginners

http://manypoker.blogspot.com/