Monday, October 20, 2008

Best day ever in cash games

I kicked ass and took names yesterday, winning $7.5K over 1.5K hands. This is the most I've ever won in a single day (in cash games) to date. Just like any time period where you run really hot, I both outplayed people and got lucky. I was lucky to land fish at all stakes. Most of them had more than a measly 40 big blinds to lose. Heaters definitely make you feel on top of the world, even if you logically understand you're experiencing the good side of variance. Here are a couple of the most interesting hands from yesterday:

Hand 1: I looove hero calling.
This is the opponent I won the most from yesterday. He was solid for the most part but made a few spewy plays postflop that made him quite +EV to play. Timing tells played a big part here, but my gut also told me he wouldn't over-bet shove a king here.

Hand 2: Where do I find these people?
I had a couple hands yesterday where my opponents literally just gave me 100BB+ on a silver platter. Not that this would be a fold against most people anyway, but this is the biggest snap call ever given how maniacal he was playing.

Hand 3: Awkward spot with OESD in 3 bet pot.
I asked a couple friends about this hand already. My opponent had been pretty snug, but at the same time I had little/no grasp on how he played postflop, especially in 3 bet pots. It was hard to imagine that he would raise the flop with Qx, especially given the fact that I had been pushing him around during the match. In spots like this, I expect my opponent to just call down with a TP-type hand. Given he has little money left after his raise, it seems apparent I have little fold equity. Regardless, I thought a shove seemed right (and still like it) given my equity versus his range.

Hand 4: Suckouts are inevitable on your biggest day ever.
This looks pretty gross for multiple reasons. My double barrel versus this opponent is questionable since I'm going to get little credit given how draw-heavy the board is. I also apparently suck at poker math, because I'm not getting the 4.1-to-1 needed to call when he shoves the turn. I can imagine he was throwing stuff.

****************************************************

Last night I also went to a Belgian restaurant with a couple friends. They had a large beer selection with many hard-to-find imports, and great food all around. Their specialty is an appetizer with a pound of mussels in a white wine sauce, served with a side of pomme frites (french fries) that you dip in mayonnaise. Probably the best appetizer I've ever had. A female friend of mine has agreed to do a tour of different restaurants throughout Pittsburgh this year. In recent years, I've greatly expanded what foods I'm willing to try, so it will be interesting to experience the exotic dining hidden throughout the city.

No comments: