Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Stephen Bennett, professor

This week I am lecturing a class called "General Poker Theory". My friend Danny is the instructor and wanted me to guest speak. He created the class (1 credit course) at his school, Carnegie Mellon, which is probably the best overall university in Pittsburgh. The class has 2 sections that meet on Monday and Wednesday evening. I chose to lecture about turn & river play. Some of the concepts include double/triple barreling and value betting thin.

Only about 15 students showed up for Monday's class, but they were very enthusiastic and assaulted me with questions. The lecture would have only lasted about 20 minutes if people didn't participate (I don't think I made the Powerpoint long enough). However, the class lasted 45 minutes with the high level of student involvement. It is very gratifying to be able to teach a large group of people, and know they have the confidence in your knowledge on the subject. Wednesday's class should be 30-40 students and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

****************************************************

In other news, I am going to Jamaica with John/PuddlePirate for spring break. We booked a stay at a 4 star resort in the city of Negril. I haven't experienced spring break yet, nor gone anywhere international in many years. Even though it is only the two of us going, we are outgoing guys... I expect to have no trouble making friends. I wanted to go to the Caribbean and not Mexico/Florida. I'd like a spring break that is slightly more diverse than 7 straight days of being shit-faced in a huge sea of college students. This way, we will party but also get to try scuba diving, riding dolphins, get pampered by the resort, etc.

1 comment:

Malfaire said...

good looks on the alternative experience for spring break. i love drinking / partying, but barfing for 7 days straight isn't much of a vacation to me anymore :-D