Tuesday, December 25, 2007

All great things have to end eventually

Last Friday was a particularly interesting day. My friend Chris from high school, who plays 50NL and 100NL, came over to my house and we planned to grind together. I got stuck $1700 and decided to go sit at 5/10 NL heads up on Full Tilt. A complete idiot sat with $400 against me and built his stack up to 2K at one point. While I should have never sat at these stakes in the first place, I felt it was the right decision to continue playing because he was so bad. I came back and stacked him, but I am still a little upset at myself for playing higher stacks in the wrong frame of mind. I usually have much better self-control than that.

I'm currently on a mini-downswing, particularly at 2/4 NL on Absolute. Im specifically down $2,250 over my last 1K hands there. Ive run into some tough coolers, but I've also made a couple bad decisions in big pots. I'm going to post some of the hands that I'm questioning my play in. You guys can feel free to comment on any of them... the more feedback, the better. I actually need to begin posting hands on forums again.


Hand 1: Learn to fold hands, dude

This is the most obviously butchered hand of any, in my opinion. Villain is roughly 20/15 at this point in the session, which are very solid numbers for the crazy players at Absolute. I think that the turn is an incredibly obvious check/fold spot. He won't have AA/KK often at all here, but at the same time TT is the only hand I can beat... and I feel that TT will check behind here a lot here. I lost $300 here that was completely unnecessary.

Hand 2: Freaking overpairs again

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Villain is unknown at this point. I think it looks fine, but comments on all streets would be appreciated. I mix up 4 betting and just calling preflop in this spot, and was in the air about what to do on the flop. I also wonder what I should have done if he lead out on the turn. I had planned to probably fold if he made any sizable bet on the turn. Agree or disagree with this plan versus an unknown?

Hand 3: Villain seems strong, should I still jam?

Semi-bluffing is always a big part of my arsenal, but it gets questionable when you feel like your opponent has a strong made hand. When the hand was happening, I didn't have stats on the villain, but his small 3 bet and healthy-sized flop bet seemed very strong to me at the time. Do you guys ever just call in spots like this when you feel like JJ+ makes up a very large portion of your opponent's range? I should probably pokerstove this hand, but I feel like it's very marginal whether to call or raise, especially when we were slightly deep.

Hand 4: When to give up versus someone you have history against

This is what poker is all about. Villain is a pain-in-the-ass regular, running about 25/21 over a couple hundred hands. We have been 3 betting each other preflop, and I can sense that he doesn't want to give me much credit in any pots we're involved. The board texture makes a call-down more complicated because I feel like he could be semi-bluffing OR putting me on a draw. I feel like he can put me on a queen by the time I call the turn, but does that mean I have to fold the river? I don't know. I guess I have to tip my hat to him once he bets $340 on the river? Does anyone jam the turn?



By the way: Happy holidays, everyone.

1 comment:

Noel said...

hand 1: CR member just so you know. Not much needs to be said as you know the turn is a fold once you check and he commits himself. In the heat of the battle I may be tempted to DB the turn which is spew if we think through his range. You played it spot on except for the misclick on the turn. Hit fold next time.

Hand 2: Kinda results oriented maybe, but why are we betting the turn? I know AK or AQ suited are in his range which means he may have a FD but if we get shoved on arent we dead? Also checking behind may induce a bluff from worse on the river.

Hand 3:against JJ+ and AKs you are a 60:40 dog. Due to stack depth flatting looks like a better plan of action especially if you sense strength and lack confidence in FE. The strength in semi bluffing is that you have FE. If you sense no FE why not take the odds given by villain and look to hit?

Hand 4: After toying with stove I feel the river is a call here. This guy is a super aggro reg who most likely will bluff the river after DB any draw. As for jamming the turn I would have to do some math. It might not be a bad play. Actually here is a link on FE and what you need to break even if you shove.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=1345

Well I dont know how much this helped but I enjoyed playing some of your hands and getting some stove work in. Thanks for the post. later