Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Live pokers, and getting back on the horse

Yet again, sorry for the lack of updates.

Last weekend, I made a trip to the Atlantic City area to scope out the beach and play some poker at Borgata. My live winning streak is finally over, as I lost $1350 over 9 hours of play. In spite of being stuck, I was enjoying myself during the sessions. I'm very happy to know that I can supplement my online play with live poker, and actually enjoy doing it. Many online players seem to be miserable about live poker. Anyway, here is one hand where I totally owned someone:

First orbit at the table, I limp AJs UTG. (I have no idea what is standard here, if anything.) The guy behind me also limps, and the player after him raises to $50. It folded back around me, and I decided to call. The limper behind me also called. The flop comes J73 rainbow. Check, check, the PFR bets out $80 into a $150 pot. I decide that he likely has a small pair here and see no point in raising, so I call. The other limper folds. The turn comes a 5. I check, the PFR bets $80 again. This seems like obvious weakness to me. I'm trying to figure out how to extract the most value, and I decide to flat and donk the river. I call, and the pot is now $470. I donk $250 on the river just to milk him a little. To my extreme surprise, he pretty quickly raises it to $650. I have no idea what to think here... rivered two pair/set is the only thing that makes sense at all. I take about 3-4 minutes just sitting there, completely borderline on what to do. Suddenly, the guy offers to show one card. I say sure, and he flips up the top card, a 7. Three seconds later, I announce call, flip my hand up, and he mucks. I don't normally make live reads like this, but I felt very confident that him showing a 7 was a sign of weakness. Who said that online donks can't make live reads?

As for online, I've finally started grinding again. I took about a week off, which is probably my longest hiatus from poker in about 2 years. I think that being around poker players 24/7 in Vegas burned me out a little bit, but I've found my groove again. I've played 4K hands in the past 2 days. I'm running pretty badly at 3/6 NL, but hot at my occasional 5/10 shots, so I cant complain.

I have a bet set up already with my friend WOW UR BAD for next month. We're making a bet on who can make the most money at 2/4+ NL next month. The qualifier is you have to play at least 30K hands in order to win the bet. We believe that this bet is +EV for both of us, since we're both generally lazy about putting hands in. He probably has a slight edge since his results at MSNL HU are ungodly, but I plan to put up a good fight.