Sunday, August 24, 2008

Absent-mindedness

I had an incredibly interesting day this past Thursday. Quick back story: I own an Infiniti G35 that has a built-in GPS navigation system. However, I own an external Garmin GPS that was used in my previous car. The Garmin was being stored in the center console of my Infiniti. I got my car detailed on Thursday. When it was returned to me a few hours later, the Garmin was missing. I instantly started freaking out. I quickly checked around my apartment and could not find it, so I called the owner of the Detail Shop. I told him about the situation and asked for a refund and said I would file a police report if I did not get one. He said he checked the shop and even his employee’s own car, and found nothing. The last time I had seen the GPS was in my car a few days earlier, but my memory about the GPS since then was fuzzy. I still felt confident my GPS was stolen.

Later that day, I went to a nearby track to run laps with 2 of my close friends. About 15 minutes after leaving the track, I realized that my cell phone was missing. Luckily, a guy walking his dog at the track found it and answered it. We got it from him shortly thereafter. This development made me severely question my judgment about the GPS. If I am this absent-minded, should I really be throwing around theft accusations? I have not called back the Detail Shop owner since then. I am completely baffled as to what the best decision is in this situation.

I’m in a breakeven stretch over the past 2-3 weeks. I haven’t struggled like this since February. I had started taking for granted the fact that I was always cranking out low variance results (in spite of only averaging about 20K hands a month). This stretch has been a harsh wake-up. I tend to get a little depressed when poker is going badly. The way I’ve tried combating depression this time around is to make an extra effort to do other things in life I enjoy. Going out, playing video games, watching movies I’ve been meaning to see for a while.

No comments: