Wednesday, November 14, 2007

HAUPT! Two three four...

I played heads-up against my friend Haupt yesterday online. He is a very good 6 max player (solid winner at 2/4 to 5/10), but has little HU experience. We agreed to play small stakes, but to take it seriously. I played him because we could discuss hands together in real time. Playing each other is -EV for both of us (if we're not learning from it).

I beat Haupt up, winning a little less than 5 buy-ins. I got a nice run of cards, but he also overplayed a couple hands. Regardless of any results, it was a fun experience. I would do it again as long as we are playing for productive reasons. Here are some of the more interesting hands from the session:

****************************************************

Hand 1: The very first hand. Nice one, sir.

I had a feeling that Haupt might be very aggressive in the beginning of the match, but I had no idea he'd go apeshit on the very first hand. The fact that I know Haupt plays me aggressively was the reason I kind of close my eyes and called his shove. I was getting about 2-to-1 and figured it was a marginal decision. I also didn't want to set a precedent of being run over. I was shocked when I saw his 64o. I really don't like his shove. I'm just going to shrug, and then call his shove a lot (with the range I am 4 betting). I have to be 4 betting lightly in order for him to induce a fold.

Hand 2: Nice river for me...maybe?

Haupt was already down a lot at this point. He was still playing quite aggressive. The J on the turn was a decent card for him to 2nd barrel without having improved, so this actually made me slightly more apt to call. When the river spiked a ten, I was contemplating a check-raise, but figured he would give up too often. I lead out, he thought for a bit, and then min raised. I had no idea what to think; a better ten was the only hand that made sense. It seemed very believable in my eyes that I had trip tens myself. With the really good odds I was getting, I shrugged and called (again). I was really surprised to see air. I don't really like Haupt's raise because if he had a strong hand like an overpair, he would usually just call the river. I also think it's more likely that I have a ten than a missed draw here (though I know my game better than he does).

Hand 3: Did you put me on air again, Haupt?

This is a really shitty spot vs any good, aggressive player. 99 is a tweener hand preflop; I'm not sure whether to call or 4 bet. I decided to just call, knowing the flop would come with overcards often and it'd be a really tough spot once he c-bets. For this reason, I decided I had to peel one card. I saw little point in betting the turn, since I could see him checking better hands on the turn (for pot control, OR for deception). I hit gin on the river, and was pretty surprised I got paid off. I doubt I am going to value bet a hand less than his on the river, so he is basically hoping I have complete air there.

Hand 4: Sick bluff, Haupt. I like it.

I have to check/raise the flop with air occassionally, in order to protect myself from being exploited too much. When Haupt called, the board was so dry that I figured I should just give up. When he checked behind the turn, I put him on a K, or a middle pocket pair. His bet on the river looked like an obvious value bet, so I instantly folded. When he showed air, I was shocked. I actually like the line he took a lot. The fact that he delayed his bluff until the river made it very convincing that he didn't float me.

****************************************************

Haupt has great hand reading skills and fundamentals. Once he logs more hands at heads up, he will be a very strong HU player. I definitely think he's the better 6 max player between the two of us.

No comments: