Sunday, November 11, 2007

Thinking about life

I am already getting antsy about renting a house in Vegas next summer. It's an opportunity to get away from school and the sometimes depressing atmosphere of Pittsburgh, PA. It's also my chance to see what it is like to live with several other poker players my age. I actually have visions of buying my first house right out of college (in spring 2009), and having a couple poker playing friends live with me. As of right now, odds are I'm just going to play poker for the time-being after I graduate. I love the freedom that playing poker allows me. Ideally, I'll live someplace sunny with 2-3 others in a nice house.

I need that external factor of having poker friends in order to keep me motivated. If I had no one to talk to about poker, I would almost never have the drive to play. Part of what motivates me is being able to move up the ladder in the poker world, and to share my success with people who can relate. I also enjoy analyzing poker hands and general theory with people.

-----

My life is in a unique situation right now. Lots of my friends are stressing over school now that we're in junior year of college. That has taken high priority in their lives. For me, I am content to just get by and receive my degree. I'd like to have a 3.0 GPA when I graduate, but that's the extent of my academic worries. I'm not stressing over finding internships or extra curricular activities. I'm also not strapped financially, so that's another worry that doesn't exist for me. Lately, I've been just doing a lot of thinking about where my life is heading. I want to find happiness. I feel like I have a lot of good friends here at Pitt and I am having a good college experience, but something is missing.

Part of it is that I feel much happier when I have a partner to share my experiences with. Having a girlfriend raises my confidence and makes me enjoy the little things in life much more. I've started seeing a girl I met at Pitt recently, and we've hit it off well. I like her a lot and hope it works out. This whole experience is making me quickly feel invested in her. I'm already relying on the situation to be a piece of the puzzle to make me happy in life, which I probably shouldn't be doing.

1 comment:

cntgetmedown said...

I think you should definetly try and look for an internship though. Even if it is not one of your main interests right now, it'll help you a great deal later on if you plan on doing something with your degree.
As for the ladies, I'd say take it easy for now and don't jump in to things.