Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Honesty in poker

-I'm having a really difficult time watching instructional poker videos the past few months. Massive ADD sets-in within the first 5 minutes of starting any video. Anyone else experiencing this? I have a feeling that this isn't unique to me, and that certainly doesn't bode well for Cardrunners, etc. I seriously doubt these businesses will thrive for too long.

-As most of you know, being honest with yourself is incredibly important in poker. I am making more money in poker than I ever have before, and my confidence is at an all-time high. However, I realize that I am largely becoming a one-trick pony. I'm just good at what I do. I stick to heads-up cash games, and consistently use good table selection. I see some of my poker friends go through sick swings and really struggle, and I honestly believe some of them have better A-games than I do. So who is the "better" player, a friend who has a better A-game than I do, or someone like me who game selects well, and sticks to what he's good at? I don't know the answer to the question.

Another thing that is keeping my ego in check is new friends. I've begun talking to "WOW UR BAD", one of the best MSNL HU regs on Full Tilt. He has a 10+ PTBB/100 winrate at these stakes over 200K hands, which is absolutely sick. I have a winrate of 7.5 over 100K hands, which I thought was solid, but seems completely dwarfed now. Realizing people like him are out there is very good motivation for me. It helps me understand that I can be better than I am, and subsequently try harder. Complacency is an ugly thing, and often creeps up on you, so doing whatever it takes to keep it in-check is important.

-Today, my mom (a real estate agent) took me to see 4 homes, all in an area of the Philadelphia suburbs I'd like to live someday. I've thought a lot lately about the idea of buying my first home next year. I really want to be a home owner, and would take great pride in owning and maintaining a beautiful home. Ideally, I'll own a really nice 4 bedroom home, and rent out 2 rooms to poker friends. The idea of living by myself is really undesirable for me, and living with successful poker players who also become good friends would be an awesome way to live out my early 20's.

1 comment:

Michael Cohen said...

Good Post. I believe that being the best poker player is always trying to make the best decisions whether it deals with the bankroll or at the actual table. Knowing who you can beat is just as important is being able to beat a game. You are having great success, and I would not suggest to be complacent, but perhaps stick to your niche and try to gradually expand your "tricks". Go Philly suburbs!