Saturday, May 17, 2008

Making enemies

-For the first time, I have an arch-nemesis in poker. He's not what you would expect. His name is Doug, although I call him "Phil" for mildly resembling Phil Galfond. We played a couple of NL live cash games recently, and he played very tough versus me. Although they were small stakes, stacks were often deep, and Doug and myself played a lot of big pots. Then, the other night while I was grinding online, a very aggro player sat at 2/4 against me. I was pretty frustrated by his style, and adjusted poorly. He won $400 off me, but it should have been $1000 if it wasn't for a suckout I had. Immediately when the match ended, I got an IM and it was revealed that the player was indeed Doug. I've never felt so owned as I did at that exact moment. Doug, the gauntlet has been thrown: I will play any time you want. As long as we play anything 1/2 or larger, I will cater to the date and time you want to play. You seem to think you have my number, but I want you to back it up by playing me for more than 130 hands.

-I got my first speeding ticket last night. In all honesty, I can be a reckless driver, so I was expecting to get a ticket eventually. However, getting a $118 ticket for going 65 mph on a 55 mph empty highway is a joke. I really would like to know what kind of algorithm cops use to determine ticket amounts.

T = 30 + [MPH*5] + [20,000/(age^2] + [1,000,000/PCV] - FD
Key: T= Ticket amount in dollars, MPH= Miles per hour over the speed limit; PCV = Perceived car value; FD = female driver desirability


-I've been itching to make a trip to the Jersey shore, so I can chill at the beach and play some 5/10 NL live. Unfortunately, the weather has been poor every weekend since I arrived home from school. I'm supposed to drive down with my friend Chris (cdw1323), and he can only go on weekends. Hopefully one of the next two weekends clears up.

-I'm playing the FTOPS main event tomorrow ($500 buy-in, $1.5 million guaranteed), partly because its a very deep structure, and partly because I feel obliged to at least play the main event since I won an earlier FTOPS event. Then next Saturday, I have a Tournament of Champions freeroll. About 65-70 people battling for a WSOP seat. It's only $150 in expectation... but the brag of winning the TOC, and the excitement that comes with locking up a WSOP seat are enough reasons to give a solid effort.

No comments: