Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Philly poker players rule

Yesterday, I met 4 successful online poker players, all from the Philadelphia area. They are Fees, UMD Tennis, Annabella Maria (he's a guy), and odub. They play everything from 2/4 to 25/50 NL. They were all friends with each other before this, but I guess I'm "in" now too. We went to Sullivan's Steakhouse, a nice restaurant in the mid-upper price range that definitely qualifies as a nice place, but doesn't have a stuck-up atmosphere. We ran up a $300 bill and then played credit card roulette for the first time in my life. I suggested it because I always read about the sweats other people get from playing CCR with big bills. We had the waitress take our 5 cards and slowly pull them out of her apron one at a time. Mine was 2nd-to-last, which gave me as genuine of a sweat as I had hoped for. Apparently, I had a look of terror on my face when only 2 cards were left.

After dinner, we headed to Fee's house and grinded a bit. I took what is overall my most obnoxious beat in my history of playing poker. Everyone has personalities that mesh will, and I had an awesome time overall last night. I have a feeling I won't get along this well with every single poker player I hang out with in Vegas, but times like last night still get me extremely pumped about the Vegas trip.

I wanna say specifically that what odub does is awesome. He is 29 years old, and makes great money working at a law firm. He is also married, yet he successfully beats up 2/4 to 10/20 NL heads-up while juggling those other priorities. He also plays more hands than anyone else in the group. Talk about inspiration. Sick props, odub.

3 comments:

LuckySOB said...

OMG, just seeing that hand tilts me.

cntgetmedown said...

It seems very hard to believe that odub can balance everything he does well. Assuming a lot of hands is like 40k hands a month, I really don't see how you can be a lawyer and spend a reasonable amount of time with your family at the same time. Unless he works part time as a lawyer and fills up the rest of the time with poker and then is at home for around 5-6.
Are any of your friends gonna be in Vegas with you?

Michael Cohen said...

Why can't you work 9-5, be with family 6-9, study/play poker 9-12, and still get 8 hours of sleep?

Plus there are weekends where balancing poker and family is surely feasible.

Hey, it might be tough, but it's possible!

Btw the hour between 5-6 is personal time!