Saturday, August 4, 2007

Donking around in HU poker

I decided to play some heads up today. I don't have a whole lot of HU experience, but like to play a few days a month just to try something new. I also want to improve my heads up game. I feel very comfortable when a game is 4-6 handed, but need more experience playing 2-3 handed.

I first sat at 3/6 heads up Limit Hold em this morning. LHE has been my leak this year. I have both run badly and played badly, I'm sure. I lost $500 in about 1.5 hours, which is pretty disgusting for 3/6. After that, I am pledging to stay away from LHE until I do more research on the game. I may trade coaching with a limit player from 2+2 or Cardrunners (get coaching from a shorthanded limit player, in exchange for coaching them on 6 max NL).

On life tilt, I finally left the limit tables, and sat at 1/2 NL heads up. I wound up playing a fish who stayed for 4 hours (which is very long for online HU sessions). He outdrew me in a $550 pot (set vs straight draw), but he stayed long enough that I got all my money back and busted him. I was very friendly with him in the chat box, and we actually exchanged email addresses so we can play again in the future. I find that networking is very important in poker... yet no one talks about it.


I have started the month well at my main game, 200NL 6 max. I am probably running above expectation in the games lately, but at the same time I think my game is pretty strong vs the competition. It's almost time to move on to greener pastures. My bankroll is big enough to play 400NL, it's just a matter of working up the courage to start taking shots.

No comments: