Monday, August 27, 2007

The real test of a poker player

The past week has been rough for me, both in life and poker. I felt really frustrated about my living situation at school, and felt like nothing has gone right in poker lately. Life tilt, mixed with the bad side of variance, can be a recipe for disaster. I am currently on a $2500 downswing (about 9 BI at 1/2 to 3/6 NL), which is my largest ever. Summer break was completely smooth sailing for me, so to hit a brick wall now has been tough. I have taken shots at 2/4 and 3/6 games that were definitely profitable, and they have not worked in my favor.

When I spoke with my mom on the phone this afternoon, she gave me a pep talk that I was in badly need of. She told me that everyone needs to battle through tough times, and that I need to persevere. The things she told me are ideas that I would have said I already know, but actually hearing my mom tell me it gives a much more powerful meaning. After speaking to her, I feel rejuvenated (in comparison to the feeling of helplessness that I had last night).

Class started back up today, so that will take up a lot of my time... but I feel the energy and desire to continue my journey to be the most successful poker player I can be. I know that I have to fight through the downswing and just play my A-game, not letting short term results get to my head. Someone can be the best technical player in the world when they're winning, but if they can't fight through the rough times, they will have no staying power in poker.

No comments: