Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Yes, Im playing poker in vegas

It is now Day 11 of 27 in Las Vegas. The guys in the house haven't been doing a whole lot lately, aside from playing poker. I have played about 20 hours of live poker so far, and I'm up about $4500. I managed to find better tables this past weekend. As tough as it can be, the reality is that just playing pretty ABC tight-aggressive is what takes down the money in these games. I'm trying to make occassional double barrels and such, but really trying not to get out-of-line. I honestly don't mind live poker nearly as much as many other online players do. Full ring is the only thing that bothers me. Regardless, I'll continue to compliment my online play with live while I'm here, and definitely try to get 50+ total hours in. It seems that $100/hr is a realistic winrate in the 5/10 NL games here.

I introduced Dodgyken to Chipotle Mexican Grill (one of my favorite places) out here, and now it seems like our house has been addicted. Eating burritos multiple times, on top of eating out at restaurants, has hampered my attempt to eat healthy while in Vegas. We bought a bunch of groceries on the first day here that have mostly not been consumed. I need to stop being lazy about cooking, and stop craving unhealthy food.

My results online have been pretty mediocre since I got here. I find that I enjoy playing in the quiet setting back home more, where it is much easier to focus. In theory it is very cool to have a bunch of guys grinding online poker together, but in practice it is just stressful. This is not meant to be a knock on my housemates, I assume I would feel the same with any other poker players.

Being here has made me realize even more how important table selection is. I watch the guys around me who are great players, but consistently put themselves in matches where they have little (or often no) edge. I don't care how good you are at poker, it's all relative to who you're playing. And to pass up on a ridiculous amount of expected money just by having poor table selection amazes me. A couple months ago, I pretty much measured how good a poker player is by what their A-game is. Now, I honestly weigh that with table selection and tilt control just as much when rating a player.

And finally, I've made a list of the things I want to accomplish before I leave Vegas:

-see Comedy Stop at the Tropicana
-see a Cirque show: Mystere or O
-visit "old" Las Vegas
-go to 2 or 3 nightclubs
-go to Spearmint Rhino
-get a full body massage
-learn how to play craps and baccarat
-Try out some all-you-can-eat buffets
-Ride rollercoaster at NY/NY
-Go on the three rides at the Stratosphere

No comments: