Thursday, March 20, 2008

I <33 my neighborhood

This morning, I found out that someone smashed the driver's side window of my car, and stole my GPS. My car was parked right outside of my house at school. We live in a beat-up part of Pittsburgh, but until now I wasn't so suspicious that I felt it necessary to hide my GPS every time I park.



Here is the scariest part - 15 minutes after I find out, I went back inside my house for a minute, and when I went back outside there was a guy rummaging through my car. WHAT THE FUCK. I screamed at him and told him the police were already on their way. He had my watch (I use it for running, its only worth like $30) in his hand, but gave it back, apologized and then left.

It's amazing how so many people are criticizing me because my GPS wasn't hidden. I just spent the entire afternoon filing a police report, filing a claim with my insurance company, cleaning up the shattered glass, and now I have to pay about $350 to deal with this whole mess. The only feedback some important people in my life give me is "your GPS shouldn't have been easily seen". Thanks for the consolation, everyone. I forgot that I'm supposed to assume the absolute worst outcome in every scenario in my life, and plan accordingly. To criticize me for this is like criticizing someone when they break their arm playing baseball. It's ridiculous.

---------------------------

On a lighter note, for the first time in over a month, I feel like I'm pulling out of my poker slump. I'm up $4K the past 3 days, and I'm really motivated to grind lately.

2 comments:

cntgetmedown said...

sick spot. didn't the smashing of the glass wake you up at night? doesn't your car have an alarm? May have helped prevent the situation. Anyways sorry it turned out the way it did.

whitewash said...

It didn't wake me up, no. We're in the city and my car is parked on the road.

My car has an alarm, but I think it only goes off when someone tries opening the car when it's locked. :(

I'm moving into a nicer apartment in a nicer neighborhood after this semester ends, so hopefully I won't have to worry about theft as much after that.